Monday, March 13, 2006

What happened to spring?

Never before now has the rapid climate change become more evident to me... This was the mildest winter I can ever remember, but what is even more shocking is the lack of transition into spring. As soon as March came it just turned hot--so much for my "in between" wardrobe. I'm wearing skirts and T-shirts and wishing for a shower three times a day. You remember the adage "March goes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb"? Anybody who counted on the truth of that saying, who loves the blustery weather (like me), who wants to fly kites and waits all year for the perfect month to do it in, they're quite at a loss this year. No wearing my sweater in the morning and then tying it around my waist by noon...

Climate change is absolutely tragic to me. We're losing something irreplaceable and very sacred by our own apathy toward our world, doing things that are convenient for us in the short run but are ultimately not sustainable--we're making a bed for future generations to lie in. It used to snow every winter in Georgia. You can ask people who grew up here forty, fifty years ago. I remember when it snowed in Savannah in the wintertime on occasion, only twenty years ago. Now, snow in Savannah is unheard of; snow in the North Georgia mountains is rare (it sure wasn't going to happen this year). I want to raise my children where they can be familiar with snow, where they can look out of their window on a winter night like I did once or twice when I was very young, and be delighted by the tiny white flakes that are just starting to sail down from the December sky. Can I count on that in Georgia? Even on occasion? How far north would I have to move to be in a snow-falling region? It's changing so quickly...

Someday soon people are going to have to start caring. Especially in America, someone will have to wake up and realize that we need an administration that is dedicated to preserving something that is far bigger, far older, and far more awe-inspiring than the great United States--that is God's creation, this earth, that is dying under our gluttonous use of petroleum and our constant stripping of irreplaceable resources, our killing of the o-zone and of the forests. We cannot push it off any longer and wait for someone to come behind and clean up our mess... because no one's going to do it. People have to learn now and start now. I don't know what is going to wake this world up from their delusions, but whatever it is, I hope it comes soon.

No comments: